LIVING COLOR UTAH
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
At the Red Cross, there is no such thing as a small disaster. In every single case it is the Red Cross’ mission to help people affected by disaster meet their emergency needs that include shelter, food, clothing, and health and mental health services. As a paid staff member, you will support our loyal Red Cross disaster volunteers who serve selflessly to provide a bridge of assistance until individuals and families can resume a normal life.
Our disaster volunteers are the heart and soul of our mission to respond to emergencies and provide relief to victims of disasters. They serve in a number of capacities, including Disaster Action Team Member, Disaster Assessment, Caseworker, Mass Care Feeding, Emergency Response Vehicle (ERV) Driver, Shelter Manager/Staff, Disaster Health Services and Disaster Mental Health.
We are currently seeking a Regional Communications Manager (UT & NV) to work in our Salt Lake City, UT office. This position will work 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday, and some weekends and evenings will be required during times of business need. Travel will also be involved up to 35% of the time.
Perform communications and marketing functions that drive regional business objectives and results, publicize the mission of the Red Cross, support revenue generations, and educate the public about how to access Red Cross services. Work in close collaboration with regional Development, Disaster Cycle Services, Service to the Armed Forces, Biomedical Services, Training Services, and Volunteer Services staff to provide communication and marketing support. Provide support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures and other applicable Federal, State and local regulations.
1. Media Relations: Work with regional communications director, regional executive, executive director and others to execute determined media relations strategy, including maintaining excellent media contact relationships, news release writing and distributions, pitching, etc. Respond to local media inquiries by coordinating interviews and providing Red Cross approved information, as appropriate. Required to serve as a Red Cross spokesperson, train and prepare staff and volunteer spokespersons throughout the region, review support requests, and develop and execute an effective communications strategy.
2. Public Affairs and Crisis Communications: Support regional, divisional, and potentially national disaster public affairs activities. Provide training to regional disaster public affairs volunteers. May be required to deploy to support disaster response operations outside of home region or may be tasked to conduct public affairs volunteer training and development across the division.
3. Social Engagement: Implement a social media engagement strategy for the region that reflects the regional priorities in alignment with the enterprise-wide social media strategy. Produce relevant local content for regional web and social platforms.
4. Marketing Support: Support integrated campaign/program development in collaboration with Field Marketing and Regional Financial Development. Encourage staff to be trained on and use Brand Central.
5. Internal Communications: Support development of strategic and change management communications.
6. Volunteer Engagement: Support the regional communications director in building, engaging and supervising a regional communications and disaster public affairs volunteer team.
Individual contributor that is fully proficient in applying subject matter knowledge. Knowledge based acquired from several years of experience in particular area. Work independently and may instruct or coach other professionals.
Education: Bachelor's degree required.
Experience: Minimum 3 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience required in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Affairs or related field required.
Management Experience: N/A
Skills and Abilities: Good understanding of role and industry, apply specialized knowledge. Know what is expected in the role and expectations. Proficient in the role. Analyze possible solutions using standard procedures. Outstanding oral and written communication skills required, with proven knowledge of AP Style. Demonstrate effective critical thinking and strategic planning. Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with Cision/TrendKite or other media monitoring software. Demonstrated experience managing professional social media platforms for an organization is required. Must be comfortable using website content management systems and other marketing tools. Willingness to serve as a media spokesperson required; experience as a spokesperson preferred. Strong teamwork and collaboration required. Ability to work on a team.
Travel: Travel may be required 10-25%. May vary by region.
* Combination of candidate’s education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to description’s minimum education and general experience years combined (Management experience cannot be substituted).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The work environment will consist of moderate noise (i.e. business office with computers, phones and printers, light traffic). The employee must have the ability to work in a small cubicle and have the ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.